Re: How can I change the format of plot labels?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3709] Re: How can I change the format of plot labels?
  • From: ianc (Ian Collier)
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 02:11:43 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Steve,

I posted this (or tried to anyway), last Wednesday, but it doesn't appear
to have shown up.

Did you not get it?

Thanks,

--Ian

In article <4jsp2k$2pp at dragonfly.wolfram.com>, hinsenk at ERE.UMontreal.CA
(Konrad HINSEN) wrote:

> One of my plots has axis labels that look like
>
>    1.5
>   1.45
>    1.4
>   1.35
>
> I'd like to get the decimal points lined up, i.e. i want to
> get "1.50" instead of "1.5". I didn't find any hint about
> that in the manuals. The on-line reference says that
> numbers are formatted using OutputForm[], which is exactly
> what I would like to change, but how?
>
> --

You can do this by specifyng the labels you want using the
Ticks option.

Here is a simple example:

In[10]:=
    Plot[ Sin[x], {x, 0,3},
            Ticks ->  {Automatic,
                    {0,.25,{.5,"0.50"},.75,{1,"1.00"}}}]

Out[10]=
    -Graphics-

This is described in Section 2.9.5 of the Mathematica book.
"Labelling Two-Dimensional Graphs".

You might also want to look at Tom Wickham-Jones book,
Mathematica Graphics: Techniques & Applications published
by TELOS/Springer-Verlag, 1994 ISBN 0-387-94047-2.

This book discusses the implementation of ways tof customise
tick labels on Mathematica graphics amongst other things.

I hope this helps.

--Ian

Ian Collier
Wolfram Research, Inc.