Q about Nonlinear Simul. Eq

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3716] Q about Nonlinear Simul. Eq
  • From: Jinchul Park <jinchulp at usc.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 02:12:57 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

I'm a newbie in this group.  I have a question about solving nonlinear
simultaneous equation.  Please forgive me if my question is trivial.

Is there any built-in function solving nonlinear simultaneous equations
in Mathematica?  Or do I have to make a subroutine or a function to do
that?

Currently I'm using Mathematica v. 2.2.3 under UNIX.

The following shows a small example for your reference:

I tried to estimate x and y from this equation:
NSolve[{
        x - 4 (Exp[-1 - 2x] / (Exp[-1 - 2x] + Exp[-2 - y])) == 0,
        y - 4 (Exp[-2 -  y] / (Exp[-1 - 2x] + Exp[-2 - y])) == 0,
        x + y                                               == 4
        },
        {x, y}]

After hitting shift+enter, what I get is the following message and the
output:

Solve::tdep:
   The equations appear to involve transcendental functions of
     the variables in an essentially non-algebraic way.

Out[1]=
               -1 - 2 x
           -4 E
NSolve[{------------------- + x == 0,