Re: Please help on RAS, Loopback Adapter, and Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3755] Re: Please help on RAS, Loopback Adapter, and Mathematica
  • From: welter at texoma.com (Jason Welter)
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1996 03:03:26 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

scniu at utdallas.edu (Shun-Chen Niu) wrote:

>Hi,

>   I am running Win NT 3.51 with RAS installed.  Mathematica
>   requires the installation of the MS Loopback Adapter.  My internet
>   service provider assigns an IP address dynamically.  How should I
>   configure the Loopback Adapter?  The problem I have is that
>   when I add the Loopback Adapter, NT won't let me complete setup
>   without supplying an explicit IP address.  Since the Loopback
>   Adapter is a "dummy" software adapter and I don't have a dedicated
>   IP address, I don't know how to get NT setup the adapter correctly.
>   Please help.

After  you install the new Microsoft Loopback Adaptor, the computer
will ask you to configure it's IP address and subnet mask.  Just check
the box above those fields that says "Enable Automatic DHCP
configuration"  and be done with it.  I'm running NT 3.50 and have had
no problems after the initial install.  The only drawback is that I
get an error from the DHCP when I'm not connected to the net and it
can't find the dynamic IP address.

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====