Re: Trilinear plots

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg4654] Re: [mg4573] Trilinear plots
  • From: xah at (Xah Lee)
  • Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 03:55:08 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

At 5:15 AM 96/8/16, Michael Friendly wrote:
>I'm looking for ideas on how to do trilinear plots, ie, plots
>on three axes which form an equilateral triangle (where the three coords are
>usually scaled so they sum to 1 for each observation)?
>Equivalently, this plot can be described as a plot of the locations of 3D
>points in the plane defined by x+y+z=1.

Holy cow! This seems very interesting. Just for the curiosity of how
functions would appear as such plot, I might be interested to write a
package for it, with user specifying arbitrary number of axes and slant.

Can anyone give me some information about such plot? Such as more detailed
description, its use?

 xah at; 74631.731 at
 Mountain View, CA, USA