More Constrained Min, non-linear

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg4580] More Constrained Min, non-linear
  • From: deb at (David E. Burmaster)
  • Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 05:15:11 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Dear MathGroup,

<wolfrum at> asked the question below, and
several fine answers have been posted.

I have a related question.... What if the constraint:

        abs(x+y) = 1

is replaced by a new constaint:

        abs(x+y) <= 1

How can one solve a problem like this in Mma?? Thank you for your help

>I'm not yet quite familiar with all Mathematica features
>(who is?) and I'm looking for a solution of a rather
>simple problem. I can easily solve it by hand but I
>wanna know how to do this with Mathematica. Here it is:
>Where is f(x,y)=x^2+y^2 minimal, if x and y are
>constrained to abs(x+y)=1 ?
>Is it possible to solve this without programming?
>Please answer via email, thanks in advance,

David E. Burmaster, Ph.D.
Alceon Corporation (R)
PO Box 382669
Cambridge, MA 02238-2669