Questions on the finer points.
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg4496] Questions on the finer points.
- From: Hein Hundal <hundal at vicon.net>
- Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 02:22:27 -0400
- Organization: Core Capital
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
There are some things in Mathematica that seem to be the same, but I suspect that they are some different. Could someone enlighten me about the difference between the following: 1) What is the difference (if any) between f and g? Are there any circumstances where f will work, but g won't. Is g always faster than f? Does anyone prefer one definition to the other for another reason? 1a) f[x_] := x^2 g = #^2 & 1b) f[x_] := 1 /; x > 0 f[x_] := 0 /; x <= 0 g[x_] := If[ x>0, 1, 0] 2) Hold and HoldForm 3) Block and Module ==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====