Re: Plotting with a simplex

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg5545] Re: Plotting with a simplex
  • From: "David B. Wagner" <dbwagner at princon.com>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 01:02:38 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Gordon A. Fox wrote:

> Is there a way I can do plots for variables that are confined to a
> simplex? For example, I often work with variables that are frequencies,
> so, say, x + y + z = 1. I can obviously do an ordinary 3D plot, but since
> the action is confined to the simplex x+y+z=1, this is a bit silly. I can
> obviously use primitives to hack a picture, but that won't help me the
> next time I need to look at a different system that's subject to the same
> constraint. In some fields simplices like this are called triangle plots,
> though they can obviously have dimensions > 3.

Tom Wickham-Jones book (Mathematica Graphics: Techniques and
Applications,
TELOS) contains a package for doing what he calls ternary component
plots.  You can download this package from MathSource, but if you buy
the book you can see how it was developed and perhaps extend in to
more than 3 dimensions.

--
		Dave Wagner
		Principia Consulting