Can I learn 3 semesters of calculus by May

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg5605] Can I learn 3 semesters of calculus by May
  • From: amcorso at aol.com (AMCorso)
  • Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 01:59:11 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Can I learn 3 Semesters of Calculus by May?

I have recently come to realize that my thinking  that placing out of my
math requirement meant that I  was numerate was a mistake.

I need to learn 3 semesters of college level calculus by May; ( for non
Americans,  here in the States, the third semester is traditionally a sort
of intro. differential equations course).

I used to know what a Taylor series was, (if fact I still remember what
one is, I just get kind a lost when I actually try to take one). As an old
APL programmer I suppose I have a cobbled together knowledge of matrix
algebra.

And I trade exotic options, so over the course of the years I ve had to
read some fairly technical papers and code up, (in APL),  some tricky
stuff, (Quadratic optimization, GARCH processes, etc.).

And I d like to think that if I devote an hour an evening to this I d
accomplish at least as much  in one month as I accomplished  in a semester
of catching the subway up from SoHo, grabbing two hot dogs and an Orange
Julius, and stumbling around Columbia from class to class.

Surely there is some soft/courseware, (Mathematica perhaps?),
or a series of books, or maybe some books about the courseware, that can
enable me to accomplish this?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Regards
Tony
PS: since I m using America on Line I can t cross post to multiple news
groups, but have to do this cut and paste thing to each group; that also
means I can t check all groups for replies at once either. Might I ask
that should you reply, to please e-mail me in addition to posting to the
group. Thanks Again