Re: Temperature conversion

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg3111] Re: [mg3022] Temperature conversion
  • From: ianc (Ian Collier)
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 03:36:03 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

>   When using Miscellaneous`SIUnits`,
>   SI[60 Celsius] erroneously returns 60 Kelvin.  Is there a modification
>that I can make to the package to make it convert 60 Celsius to 333 Kelvin
>but still convert 60 Celsius/Watt to 60 Kelvin/Watt.  This might be a
>limitation of SIUnits that can't be overcome.   In that case when I feed a
>temperature to a package, what is the recommended way to guarantee that
>this erroneous conversion doesn't take place?
>   Thanks in advance,
>   Daryl
>   Reece_d at

Try using Convert and ConvertTemperature from Miscellaneous`Units`
rather than SI. Note that Convert issues a message when it
operates on temperature units.

In[1]:= <<Miscellaneous`Units`

In[2]:= Convert[60 Celsius/Watt, Kelvin/Watt]

Convert::temp: Warning: Convert[old,new] converts units of temperature.
    ConvertTemperature[temp,old,new] converts absolute temperature.

        60 Kelvin

In[4]:= ConvertTemperature[60, Celsius, Kelvin]

Out[4]= 333.15

I hope this helps.

Ian Collier
Technical Sales Support
Wolfram Research, Inc.
tel:(217) 398-0700     fax:(217) 398-0747      ianc at
Wolfram Research Home Page: