Re: Postscript o/p to file can/t be read by ghostview

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3311] Re: Postscript o/p to file can/t be read by ghostview
  • From: ianc (Ian Collier)
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 02:54:24 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Steve,

I posted this yesterday but it didn't show up today.

Did you receive it?

Thanks,

--Ian

(A copy of this message has also been posted to the following newsgroups:
comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica)

In article <4ge7kh$kc9 at dragonfly.wolfram.com>,
asarvind at astro.ocis.temple.edu (A. S. Arvind) wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I am trying to use the Display["filename",Graphics]  command
> to write a graphics file into a postscript file  to later
> include in a TeX document.  Unfortunately the postscript
> file generated by MMA does seem to be complying to the Adobe
> standard, because "ghostview" does not read it properly
> and I can't print that postscript file to a printer either
>
> Is there anything missing in my thinking

Internally Mathematica uses a non-standard dialect of PostScript
to more efficiently represent Mathematica graphics. It defines a
number of higher level operators that are understood by
Mathematica's own PostScript interpreter but not by others.
You simply need to add the definitions of these operators to your
Mathematica PostScript file before passing it to, in your
case, ghostview.

You can do this using rasterps, which is distributed with
Mathematica. If you are using a Unix version of Mathematica
then at teh Unix command line the command:

    rasterps -format ps -file filename.ps filename

will take a file containing Mathematica PostScript ("filename")
and convert it to a file containing standard PostScript
("filename.ps") which can be sent to a printer or viewed
with an application like ghostview.

For a more detailed description refer to the section on
Converting Graphics to Other Formats in the Mathematica
User's Guide for your System.

If you require further help with this problem I would suggest
that you contact Wolfram Research Technical Support
directly (support at wolfram.com).

I hope this helps.

--Ian

Ian Collier