Exceptions handling

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3320] Exceptions handling
  • From: fdupont at irisa.fr (Florent Dupont-De-Dinechin)
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 02:55:59 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

We are developping a relatively big program transformation environment
in Mathematica, and we are wondering what is the best way
of handling errors. Problems occur when a the evaluation of some function
is blocked for some reason (in relation with an error in the input).
The caller function gets a whole expression tree instead of getting
the expected result, which causes even more errors, and so on.

Currently we use various combinations of Catch/Throw, Message/Check
and strong type checking to handle these problems, but the result is quite
inconsistent and definitely not idiot-proof, and it is getting worse
as the size of the system increases (as one may expect).

Is there an "official" way of correctly handling exceptions ? We are looking
for something like "good programming habits", from the litterature or
other users' personal experience.

	Thanks in advance,

		Florent

           "Reality shouldn't constraint our formalisms."
        Florent de Dinechin. Equipe Architectures Paralleles Integrees
             IRISA, Campus de Beaulieu, F-35042 Rennes, France
        tel: (33) 99 84 74 56		      e-mail: fdupont at irisa.fr
   "Dans toute entreprise serieuse, l'intelligence est un don negligeable."

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====