  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3126] Simplifying Expressions containing SQRT
  • From: lieres at studm.hrz.uni-siegen.de (Eric von Lieres)
  • Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 22:47:52 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi everybody!

Strange things do happen!

Mathematica4s ability to simplify equitations containing square roots
seems to be quite weak. Perhaps I just do not know enough about these
things, but I did read the manual. An example:

             Sqrt [ R ( R - x ) ] Sqrt [ ( R - x ) x ] / ( R x - R^2 )

equals Sqrt[ R / x ], but I can4t get Mathematica figure that out.

I tried PowerExpand, Factor, Collect, Simplify and almost everything
else in various orders. Nothing worked! What can I do?

I do appreciate every helpful hint. Thank you very much.

Eric von Lieres                         lieres at studm.hrz.uni-siegen.de

Eric von Lieres               lieres at studm.hrz.uni-siegen.de

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====