Wave Equation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3150] Wave Equation
  • From: kpk at colossus.Storz.Com (Kevin P. Kepley)
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 03:00:10 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

I am working with steady state, longitudinal, standing waves on a
multi-section bar.  This is a boundary value problem.  I can express
the displacement n, and force f at one end of a section in terms of
these parameters at the other end, plus several other variables.
I start at one end of the bar, and express n and f at each section
boundary in terms of n and f at the last boundary as I work my
way to the other end.  The problem is that I end up with nested
functions which become horribly long after 4 or 5 sections.  If I
were programming this in C, I would calculate one section at a time
and put the whole lot in a C function.  I could then run this multiple
times while changing the desired variable until I achieve the desired
boundary condition (n or f) at the other end, and I wouldn't have
the problem of the nested function.  I want to use the graphing
capabilities of Mathematica, and would like to find an efficient
way to do this in Mathematica rather than writing a bunch of programs.

Is there a way to do the equivalent of a subroutine in Mathematica?
I have been searching through the text and haven't been able to find
anything.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give.

kevin kepley
kpk at Storz.Com

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====