Integrals of Fourier Series

  • Subject: [mg3179] Integrals of Fourier Series
  • From: goster at nature.Berkeley.EDU (George Oster)
  • Date: 14 Feb 1996 03:57:48 -0600
  • Newsgroups: wri.mathgroup
  • Sender: daemon at

Suppose I want to substitue a Fourier Series into an integral:

u[x_] := Sum[A[n] Sin[n Pi x/L], {n, 1, Infinity}]

Integrate[(u''[x])^2, {x, 0, L}]

This has an easy analytical solution that I can't get Mma to find, because
Mma doesn't know that Sum and Integrate commute, and that Sin[n
Pi] = 0 for all integer n.

How to do this?

Professor George Oster
University of California