Re: [Q] Plot in a Plot

  • Subject: [mg3099] Re: [Q] Plot in a Plot
  • From: ianc (Ian Collier)
  • Date: 1 Feb 1996 04:59:26 -0600
  • Newsgroups: wri.mathgroup
  • Sender: daemon at wri.com

In article <4en6tk$lll at dragonfly.wri.com>, David
A.Johnson at news.acns.nwu.edu wrote:

> I need a little help.
>
> I want to display a ListPlot that is framed and in the upper right
corner  of this plot I want to display a shrunken ListPlot, ie a plot
within a plot.

> In reality the shrunken ListPlot is the original data and the framed
primary ListPlot is the magnitude spectrum of the original data.  I am not
concerned if the shrunken plot overlay's over data in the larger framed
plot.

> Does anyone have any suggestions on how this can be accomplished using Mma?
>

> Thank's in advance,
>
> David

You can do this using the Rectangle graphics primitives
to contain the plots. Here is an example taken from
section 2.9.7 of the Mathematica book.

In[11]:=
    p3 = Plot3D[Sin[x] Exp[y], {x, -5, 5}, {y, -2, 2}]
Out[11]=
    -SurfaceGraphics-

In[12]:=
    Show[Graphics[ {Rectangle[{0, 0}, {1, 1}, p3],
            Rectangle[{0.8, 0.8}, {1.2, 1.4}, p3]} ]]
Out[12]=
    -Graphics-

I hope this helps.

--Ian