Re: Postscript o/p to file can/t be read by ghostview

  • Subject: [mg3289] Re: Postscript o/p to file can/t be read by ghostview
  • From: j-guyer at nwu.edu (Jon Guyer)
  • Date: 23 Feb 1996 13:43:31 -0600
  • Newsgroups: wri.mathgroup
  • Sender: daemon at wri.com

In article <4ge7kh$kc9 at dragonfly.wolfram.com>,
asarvind at astro.ocis.temple.edu (A. S. Arvind) wrote:

> I am trying to use the Display["filename",Graphics]  command
> to write a graphics file into a postscript file  to later
> include in a TeX document.  Unfortunately the postscript
> file generated by MMA does seem to be complying to the Adobe
> standard, because "ghostview" does not read it properly
> and I can't print that postscript file to a printer either
>
> Is there anything missing in my thinking

Mathematica PostScript is "broken" (Wolfram would probably prefer the
terminology "different" or "proprietary" 8^) ). It's tailored for display
by Mma; there are a bunch of definitions, which Mma already knows, which
need to be added to the file to make it useable by any other PS display
device.

Assuming you're on a unix station, you'll need to run psfix (should be
part of your Mma distribution) on the output from Display[].

If you're not on unix, there's probably something comparable, but I don't
know what it is.

Jonathan E. Guyer
Dept. of Materials Science                         Zairyoo Kagakka
Northwestern University                        Noosuesutan Daigaku