"Compile[]" and "InterpolatingFunction" objects

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg2939] "Compile[]" and "InterpolatingFunction" objects
  • From: Jonathan Rich <rich at>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 03:20:39 -0500

I am trying to produce efficient compiled code which evaluates an expression
that includes "InterpolatingFunction" objects.  So I have two questions:

1) Are "InterpolatingFunction" objects Compiled by default?  The Book doesn't
say although in Appendix A.8 under "InterpolatingFunction" it says
`See also:  CompiledFunction'.

2)  How do I compile an InterpolatingFunction w/o having the compiled
use an external evaluation (pseudocode instruction # 24) for the result of the
InterpolatingFunction?  Here is a simple example:

In the output you will see that the compiled code uses an external evaluation,
which defeats the whole purpose of using "Compile[]" (which is to speed up the
computation--it may be that "Interpolation[]" produces compiled code, but I
can't find this documented anywhere).

Thanks for your help on this.

Jonathan Rich
Geoscience Dept., Northwestern Univ.