Re: Mathematica Plots -> Editing using Canvas or Illustrator ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg2932] Re: Mathematica Plots -> Editing using Canvas or Illustrator ?
  • From: Ramon Arrowsmith <ramon.arrowsmith at asu.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 03:19:24 -0500

I have converted MMA plots to Canvas routinely and found the results
satisfactory.  The key is to be sure that you allot adequate RAM to both
the Mathematica Front End and to Canvas (I usually go 10 Mb and 10 Mb,
but you may have to experiment, and if it does not work, especially on
the Canvas end, try allotting more memory).

I do this on a PowerMac running MMA 2.2.2.1 and Canvas 3.5.4

	To import the plot to Canvas for drafting, enlarge the plot to about 20"
wide (use the view scale at the bottom of the Mathematica window to go to
50%).  Under the Graph menu, select Convert to PICT...  When it is done,
copy the output, move to Canvas that you already have running with about
4-10 Mb RAM allotment for memory, and paste.  The graphic will be quite
large, so immediately select 'Group' under the Canvas Object menu.  Then,
select Scale... under the Object menu also, and scale both vertically and
horizontally by 25%.  You will have a graphic now that is 5" wide.  I
like to immediately change all line weights to .25 and all text to
Helvetica before ungrouping.  Good Luck!

What is happening is that MMA copies the pict graphic at 72 dpi.  By
scaling up, copying, pasting, and scaling down by 4 x, you get an effecti
dpi of 288, which is good.  Try it without scaling, and you will see the
difference.

good luck,
ramon
Ramon Arrowsmith                                Assistant Professor
Department of Geology                           Office:  (602) 965-3541
Arizona State University                        Home:    (602) 777-8371
Tempe, AZ, 85287-1404                           Fax:     (602) 965-8102
ramon.arrowsmith at asu.edu              http://www.public.asu.edu/~arrows

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====