columns

I have a simple problem that I can't seem to find a solution to. I have a
datafile that consists of a matrix of 3 columns which I want to import
into Mathematica.  All I can find in Wolfram's book is the command
ReadList, which reads in the file starting with element 1 of column 1 and
moves to element 1 of column 2, and so on.  When RecordLists is set to
True, it will organize the file into a set of sublists which correspond
to the rows of the matrix.  I want sublists that correspond to the
columns.  Can anyone please tell me how to get a columnar organization?