Re: Mathematica vs ?

  • Subject: [mg2868] Re: [mg2860] Mathematica vs ?
  • From: drjoansa at rain.org (Joan Saniuk)
  • Date: 2 Jan 1996 05:13:27 -0600
  • Newsgroups: wri.mathgroup
  • Sender: daemon at wri.com

On Sat, 30 Dec 1995, Doug Wellington wrote:

> ... why should I buy Mathematica over
> any of the other packages, such as MathCad, Matlab or Maple?
> What are their individual strengths?  The only think I've
> heard is that MathCad is super easy, Maple supports symbolic
> math, and that Matlab is powerful and portable...  Where
> does Mathematica fit into this?

mathematica supports symbolic math.  having used both maple and
mathematica, i prefer mathematica as having a more straightforward
user interface.  I used mathematica for both symbolic and computational
matrix algebra problems when I was a working engineer, and have access to
maple at the junior college where I now teach math.  i am finding maple
harder to learn.

hope you find this helpful!

******
Joan M. Saniuk          //        Ventura, CA
******