Re: Abs and variables

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg4335] Re: Abs and variables
  • From: espen.haslund at fys.uio.no (Espen Haslund)
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 00:58:15 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

>        How can I have the Abs function treat real variables properly?
>I seem to recall a way of declaring a variable real, but I don't
>remember how.  If there is such a way, would this work with Abs; i.e.
>fix the variable a so that "Abs[a]" will give a result of "a"?
>
>Thanks.
>
>/
>:@-) Scott
>\

Hi, Scott
I think you can obtain what want by using ComplexExpand with
the Option TargetFunctions->{Re, Im}. The optional
second argument of ComplexExpand specifies parameters to be
Complex (the rest is assumed to be real).

Below are two examples that I hope may be of some help.
(I think the manual is too brief on ComplexExpand)

-Espen

IN:  z = 1 / (1/r1 + I w c) + r2

              1
OUT: r2 + ----------