Re: distance learning

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg4336] Re: distance learning
  • From: tlm at (Dr. T. L. Marchioro II)
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 00:58:25 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

 mmalcolm crawford wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd be interested to know if there are any distance-learning cources
> available for Mathematica?  If anyone has any pointers they could share
> (particularly if they could email them) I'd be very grateful.
> Best wishes,
> mmalc.

Can you be  a little more specific on what you are looking for?  Are you
looking for a "distance" introduction to Mathematica?  Or courses that
use Mathematica?  And what type of "distance learning" do you mean? (I've
learned that the term means different things to different people).

The UCES project, which I direct, has developed an extensive collection
of on-line materials for teaching undergraduate computational science and
engineering.  Many of the materials make use of Mathematica, and we have
written software that allows students to execute the Mma commands either
locally, or on a remote "computational server" (that maintains the state)
in a fairly straightforward manner.  If this is in the spirit of what you
wanted, take a look at

as a fairly good example.  We have a short course called "Introduction to
Scientific Computing Using Mathematica" that will be available shortly
(like, any day now if I can just find time to finish the editing :) and I
would be happy to make this available to you as wel.

Hope this proves helpful.

PS (1):  Without violating any of my NDAs, I can say that WRI has done
some really nice work lately that should make developing things like what
we have much easier.

PS (2):  Aren't you another NeXT person?

Dr. Thomas L. Marchioro II      Two-wheeled theoretical physicist
Applied Mathematical Sciences   515-294-9779
Ames Laboratory                 515-432-9142 (home)
Ames, Iowa 50011                tlm at
Project Coordinator: Undergraduate Computational Engineering and Sciences