Re: How to read *.bmp *.wav files?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg4233] Re: [mg4171] How to read *.bmp *.wav files?
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 03:28:59 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The code for reading *.wav files is available in the
Miscellaneous`Audio` package, which comes standard with Mathematica
(the documentation for it is in the _Guide to Standard Packages_).  I'm
not immediately aware of any code to read bitmaps, but the format is
well-documented (almost any Windows programming book that covers
graphics will have it) and not too difficult to parse.  However, I will
mention that binary reading under Mathematica for Windows is
problematic--it's very slow and it sometimes does text-binary
translation which is very bad.  If you decide to code this routine
yourself, I recommend reading in the bitmap file with FastBinaryFiles
(0206-783 on MathSource).

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com