  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg4283] VectorToMatrix
  • From: Robert Pratt <rpratt at>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jun 1996 03:54:08 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I want to define a function VectorToMatrix[list_, n_] that behaves as

VectorToMatrix[{a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j}, 4]//MatrixForm

0 a b c d
0 0 e f g
0 0 0 h i
0 0 0 0 j

Now n can be determined from Length[list], which will always be equal to
n choose 2 for some n.  But I would rather input n to save that
computation.  (I will be doing this for a lot of vectors.)

Any ideas?

Rob Pratt
Department of Mathematics
CB# 3250, 331 Phillips Hall