Re: Help: Column/Row Vector

khinast at nld.chee.uh.edu wrote:
> I have two vectors x=(x1,x2) and y = (y1,y1). How can I persuade Mathematica
> that e.g. x is a column vector and y is a row vector, which is kind of
> important for their multiplication .
> I've studied the help page for hours, with no result. So could
> someone please help me. My email address is:

Try inputting the following:

x = {x1,x2};
y = {y1,y2};
inprod = x.y
outprod = Outer[Times, x, y]

It produces this output (i.e. the inner and outer products of
vectors x and y):

x1 y1 + x2 y2
{{x1 y1, x1 y2}, {x2 y1, x2 y2}}

Dr Stephen P Luttrell                  luttrell at signal.dra.hmg.gb
Adaptive Systems Theory                01684-894046 (phone)
Room EX21, Defence Research Agency     01684-894384 (fax)
Malvern, Worcs, WR14 3PS, U.K.         http://www.dra.hmg.gb/cis5pip/Welcome.html

==== [MESSAGE SEPARATOR] ====