An "Assume" type command

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg3908] An "Assume" type command
  • From: Laurent Baig <lbaig at>
  • Date: Sun, 5 May 1996 23:12:33 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

One of the nice things about Maple V rev 4 is it's assume command.

Is there such a thing on Mathematica? Basically I am trying to get
a solution to a Fourier transform that I have to calculate by residues
by hand, and I would like to see a similar result on the computer.
By hand, I need to first assume w (the frequency variable) is less than zero,
solve for that, then assume w greater than zero and solve for that. Mathematica
gives a real tidy solution to the problem, but doesn't really let me know if
what I did was right. Does anyone know how to do this?

-laurent baig
lbaig at
University of Arizona