Re: PDE-Solving in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg5138] Re: [mg5118] PDE-Solving in Mathematica
  • From: Francisco Edmundo de Andrade <edmundo at lia.ufc.br>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 01:32:59 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, Thomas Vetterling wrote:

> Is anybody able to help me in solving a second order partitial
> differential equation (perhaps the heatconduction equation) with M 2.2.3
> for Windows.
> I will be happy to get any information abaout this problem.
>
> Thanks.

We are preparing a function that transforms PDE in ODE by using
Generalized Integral Transform Technique. It's applicable to diffusion
equations like this:
  D[u,t] == Div[k Grad[u]] - d u + p
  where u is a unknown variable that depends of x,y,z and t
        k,d depends of x,y,z
        p depends of x,y,z,t
This technique is recent and is expanded to non-linear problems. There
are groups around the world working with it. When we finish the
package, we will inform you. If you want read about Transform Integral
Technique, try this books:

Cotta, R.M., "Integral Transform in Comp. Heat and Fluid Flow"
CRC Press, EUA, 1993.

Mikhailov, M.D. and Ozisik, M.N., "Unified Analysis and Solutions of
Heat and Mass Diffusion", John Wiley, New York, 1984.

There are books coming soon about Integral Transform with Mathematica.

Bye-bye.

Edmundo
Universidade Federal do Ceara
         B R A S I L