Setup for maintaining multiple platforms

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg5071] Setup for maintaining multiple platforms
  • From: sherwood at mailhost.space.ualberta.ca (Sherwood Botsford)
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 22:48:15 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Mathematica 2.2 is rather sloppy about it's install proceedure, and
seems to leave a bunch of crud lying around.  I have users with mma on
several different platforms.  For other packages, such as Maple, I do it
like this:

/share/maple/bin.hpux9
But on mma, it's not clear to me which directories are architecture
specific, which are not, and what stuff you can blow away after the
install.

If you've done this, drop me a line.

***
If there are readers from wolfram, specific complaints:
1.  Mathpass is installed in whatever/math/Install
2.  Mathraw is left behind.
3.  There are executables in *eight* subdirectories.
4.  No provision is made for installing multiple architectures in
parallel.

--

Sherwood Botsford |Unsolicited email that advertises commercial
Physics Dept      |activities will consitute a request for