Re: Symbols, names, objects

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg6537] Re: [mg6515] Symbols, names, objects
  • From: penny at suu.edu (Des Penny)
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 23:01:36 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

>I need a function, let's call it Store, that takes two strings as
>arguments -- the NAMES of two variables the second ov which variables
>currently has some value -- and that causes the value in that variable
>to be assigned to the symbol.  (I don't care what the result returned
>by the function is; Null will do just fine.)  For example:
>
>    temp = {1, 2, 3};
>    Store["x", "temp"]
>
>After evaluating those expressions, the list {1,2,3} of numbers would
>be assigned to the variable x.

Hi:

Part of the problem is that the Set (i.e. = ) function has a HoldFirst
attribute. We must therefore force it to evaluate its first argument (i.e.
the left hand side of the =). The following will work:

Clear[store]

store[a_String,b_String]:=
( Clear[Evaluate[a]];
Set[Evaluate[ToExpression[a]],ToExpression[b]])

temp = {1, 2, 3};
store["x","temp"];

The variable x is now redefined:

gives