Re: Postscript with Mathematica 3.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg6816] Re: [mg6782] Postscript with Mathematica 3.0
  • From: "Brett H. Barnhart" <brettb>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 02:02:44 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Wolfram does have a FAQ page on the web site that lists several fixes for
things like this. This particular problem is addressed at
http://www.wolfram.com/support/Graphics/Formats/EPS/FrontEndFix.html

		Brett Barnhart

At 02:37 AM 4/18/97 -0400, Matthias Weber wrote:

>I have (like others) some troubles using Mathematica's 3.0
>EPS export feature: the resulting files do not print and
>are not viewable properly.
>
>I compared the ps files with the corresponding files produced by
>Mathematica 2.2 and found a couple of differences.
>
>Changing two of them in the new ps files resulted in printable files.
>
>Because this might be of interest to others, I describe the process
>of changing a Mathematica 3.0 ps file so that it becomes printable
>on OUR system. I do not promis any applicability of that recipe
>on any machine whatsoever, and I am not responsible for any kind of damage
>this might cause under any circumstances. Etc.
>
>My own configuration is a Macintosh PowerPC, and I usually print the files
>under unix on an Iris. I am not willing to solve any more postscript
problems,
>requests should be sent to Wolfram.
>

>Here is the recipe:
>
>Select a graphic under Mathematica 3.0, and save it using Edit/Save
Selection as EPS.

> [...]
>	Plain
>	Mfontsize scalefont
>	setfont
>	0 setgray
>	0 setlinewidth
>} bind def
>

>You have to insert a line here after 'translate', so that it becomes:
>
>/MathPictureStart {
>	/Mimatrix
>	 matrix currentmatrix
>	def
>	gsave
>	newpath
>	Mleft
>	Mbottom
>	translate
>	1 -1 scale
>	/Mtmatrix
>	matrix currentmatrix
>	def
>	Plain
>	Mfontsize scalefont
>	setfont
>	0 setgray
>	0 setlinewidth
>} bind def
>
>Now you have to find the end of this section. This is most easily done
>by searching for the second Mathematica (!?) in your file.
>You should arrive at a line saying
>
>%%Creator: Mathematica
>
>Above this line, you can read (if you want to)
>
>/Mnodistort true def
>/colorimage where
>{ pop /Mcolorimage {colorimage} bind def /Mimage {image} bind def}
>{
>/colorimage {Mcolorimage} bind def
>} ifelse
>1.000000 1.000000 scale
>0.000000 288.000000 translate
>1.000000 -1.000000 scale
>-0.000000 -0.000000 translate
>/Mleft		0.000000 def
>/Mbottom	0.000000 def
>/Mwidth		288.000000 def
>/Mheight	288.000000 def
>0 setgray
>0 setlinewidth
>/Courier findfont 12 scalefont setfont
>/Mfontsize 12 def
>/Plain /Courier findfont def
>0 Mbottom Mheight neg add 2 mul Mheight add translate
>1 -1 scale
>%!
>
>Replace all this by
>
>/Mnodistort true def
>/colorimage {Mcolorimage} bind def
>/image {Mimage} bind def
>/Mleft		0.000000 def
>/Mbottom	282.000000 def
>/Mwidth		282.000000 def
>/Mheight	282.000000 def
>/Mfontsize 12 def
>/Plain /Courier findfont def
>0 Mbottom Mheight neg add 2 mul Mheight add translate
>1 -1 scale
>%!
>

>That's it. I guess the second surgery can be simplified by some
>addition of another 1 -1 scale statement, but I don't know postscript.
>
>I have also noo clue whether this is a bug in Mathematica 3.0 or
>an incompatibility of some sort. In any case it wasn't too much fun.
>
>Is there any homepage listing the (known...) bugs in Mma 3.0?

Brett H. Barnhart
Business Development
Wolfram Research
100 Trade Center Dr