thanks

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg6551] thanks
  • From: "Arturas Acus" <acus at itpa.lt>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 19:00:50 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Thanks everybody, Who helped me with Mobius strip.
I used the strip to demonstrate, that illustrative definition
of winding (or topological ) number
[number of times one S^k sphere (k_Integer >0) is covered by
another] is not acceptable for manifolds with internal structure
(it is for manifolds of dimension 2 or higher). An example is mappings
cylinder A -> cylinder B; versus cylinder C ->Mobius strip D.
Obviously, because one can not deform  continuously
Mobius strip into cylinder, we need manifold  triangulation concept.

Arturas Acus
Institute of Theoretical
Physics and Astronomy
Gostauto 12, 2600,Vilnius