Pisot Numbers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg6926] Pisot Numbers
  • From: hanson at physics.auburn.edu (James D Hanson)
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 20:48:08 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In browsing through the MMa 3.0 book recently I came across a Pisot number
in the formula gallery. (Page 934) It is a relatively innocuous formula
which gives a huge number which is extremely close to, but not quite, an
integer. I have some questions.

Who was Pisot? Where can I read something abut him (her?). Where can I
read something about Pisot numbers? How can I get Pisot numbers to display
without a power of 10 at the end? (That is, I don't want scientific
notation).

--
James D. Hanson                          ph. (334) 844-5044
Department of Physics                    fax (334) 844-4613
Auburn University, AL 36849-5311         hanson at physics.auburn.edu