Tracing

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg6612] Tracing
  • From: "Ivan G. Burch II" <ivanb at hula.net>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 23:07:44 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Folks,

I just got Mathematica 3.0 for the Macintosh student version(2 plus
months).

I want to do something that should be available in this powerful
program.

I want to trace a 2D graph to recheck if my manual math was correct.
Items such as intercept points and such.

I got the users manual(thick book) and such but there is not much
information other than manually tracing using the cmd-click on the graph
to hopefully get the about right information(not).

I also have a TI-85 which does this real fine. My Graphing Caluculator
that was included with the Macintosh does real good(not exact).

Here is the thing I want to know:

I have a graph of sqrt[x], and abs[x]
I want to know graphicly and by hard math what the intercept point are.

I want to know the two point exactly where they intercept at. How do I
do the math through mathemathica 3.0 and show graphicly where they are.
If Mathemathica 3.0 does not do this please let me know.

Note: I am not taking any math classes yet I will be in about a week. I
am just rying to brush up on my math before I start up again.

Please send information to my email address listed below

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

Ivan G. Burch II aka enforcer
at email address: