Integral sign size & position

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8232] Integral sign size & position
  • From: Allan Hayes <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 23:42:00 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Mark Evans <evans at gte.net>
in [mg8035] Re: [mg7990] Re: [Q]contour integral in MMA3.0
writes
> Suppose I want to write a double or triple integral in
Mathematica.  > My experience with 3.0 has been that the outer
integral signs
> enlarge themselves to enclose the inner integral signs, contrary
to > common notation.  When the integral signs are immediately
adjacent
> to each other, one would like to see them all the same size. Do
>  you know how to accomplish this result in such a way that
> the expression will be valid Mathematica input?

Mark:
With
	Integrate[f[x,y],x,{y,a,b}]
and StandardForm and TradionalForm I get your problem with 3.0 on
NeXT but not with 3.01 on the Mac

On the NeXT I dealt with this by selecting the first integral and
using the menu item
	Edit > Expression Input > Spanning Characters > Don't Expand
I then tried adjusting the vertical alignment by nudging (Control +
Arrows). There is a bug in Nudge(reported to wri), and I needed
finer control, so I used one nudge up and then look at the cell
expression and increased the BoxBaselineShift to -.3.

Allan,

Allan Hayes
hay at haystack.demon.co.uk
http://www.haystack.demon.co.uk/training.html