More questions on expanding function names to explicit forms

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8169] More questions on expanding function names to explicit forms
  • From: Paulo Mouat <mouat at mail.telepac.pt>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 11:51:13 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Thank you very much for your reply, but I was wondering if there was
a way of automatically obtaining the explicit mathematical form of
functions, that is, one that does not require preparation to do so, as
in the HoldForm suggestions you made.

Suppose I want to write a report that uses many of the advanced
mathematical functions supported by Mathematica.  It makes sense to
obtain an explicit mathematical form even if only to indicate that from
then on Erf[x] would be a shorthand to 2/Sqrt[Pi] Integrate ...

Also, I was interested in such representations so as to obtain explicit
mathematical forms in intermediate or final results, avoiding the use
of function names.  Since simple mathematics can lead to more
complicated mathematics upon certain calculations, I would like to avoid
the introduction of advanced function names so that the output is
readable by someone not familiar with the particular Mathematica
representation of advanced functions.

Is there a simple way to do this--meaning not having to type every
HoldForm form for every function?

If not, is there a package with such forms (Mathematica has to resort to
explicit forms of functions in order to do symbolic operations, has it
not?) or a way to generate it in a (perhaps quasi-) automatic fashion?

All the best.

--
  __|__
___\_/___   Paulo Mouat,