Front end quirks

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8352] Front end quirks
  • From: "Eric P. Nichols" <raoul at montana.campus.mci.net>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 02:22:46 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi all,

One problem I had was with an equation in an initialization cell
in a notebook that I was saving with the "autocreate package" feature.
The equation was a little long:

eqn4 = Cs'[t] Rsw +Cmics'[t] Smics[St]Rsw+Cmicaq'[t] Smicaq[St]+Caq'[t]
== -Kb Caq[t];

It fit fine in the notebook, but when saved as a .m file, the last term,
Caq[t];, wrapped to the next line.  I fixed this by wrapping the RHS
with parentheses, of course, but I worry about it happenning in the
future... that took me a long time to track down.  Should I make sure
that ALL expressions in my code are safe from word-wrap by enclosing
everything in some kind of () or {} or whatever?  Or is there a feature
I have missed to turn off this wrapping when autosaving packages?

A couple other little things, sometimes when I am typing away, the
cursor will suddenly jump to the beginning of the cell.  With about the
same frequency, when editing cells, I will place the cursor with the
mouse, press backspace, and suddenly it will delete the entire cell from
the cursor forward, and preform the backspace operation as well.  These
happen several times per mma session, and are quite annoying, as well as
being a source of weird errors.

Finally, working with sub and super-scripted variables is a chore
because although the notation.m package allows me to symbolize all sorts
of things, I haven't been able to get it to work inside of another
package.  Any advice???

Thanks,
Eric