ReadList and FortranForm data

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8426] ReadList and FortranForm data
  • From: Sean Ross <seanross at worldnet.att.net>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 00:42:34 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have never been able to figure out how to read in data from a text
file that is separated by spaces with return characters at the end of
each line.  ie

1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8
etc.

The big problem is that Mma interprets the spaces as multiplication
operators.  I have tried specifying spaces as WordSeparators,
RecordSeparators, but have not been successful.  My work-around is to
read the whole thing in as a String using the Word option, then manually
put commas in where the spaces were and use ToExpression to convert to
numbers again.  Unfortunately, this method fails with Fortran-like data
since the e-01 are interpreted as exponentials.  Can someone give me the
syntax to read in space separated data please.