Can Mathematica Do This?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8124] Can Mathematica Do This?
  • From: fahad at cs.pitt.edu (Fahad A Hoymany)
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 00:55:04 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

     Before I go on to investigate this problem, and because I'm not
familiar with the capability of Mathematica, could someone tell me if
Mathematica can:

1) Find the partial derivative of a function of three variables, f(x,y,z),
   with respect to each variable?
2) Find the minimum (x,y,z) for f?

   The function f is not very complicated, involving only first and second
order expressions in x,y, and z.

   I'd very much appreciate a "yes" or "no" answer.

Thanks
Fahad