Triangulation methods

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg6185] Triangulation methods
  • From: b5hafa at rz.uni-jena.de (Fabian Haas)
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 02:52:57 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I am working on a 3D reconstruction programme with Mma, which gives a 3D=
 body based on digitized cross section of animal and plants. This might=
 sound a bit odd but is a standard problem in Biology.
Well, the cross sections are usually non convex surfaces which need to be=
 triangulated for further measurements etc. I have used the NonConvexTriangu=
late function supplifed in a package with Tom Wickham-Jones: Mathematica=
 Graphics excellent book. However, depending on the number of points the=
 function fails.
I have send Tom a test file and he had the same problems, so it is not a=
 hardware problem whatsoever.

So, my question: does any body know an alternative triangulation algorithm=
 or function which I could try?
Or does anybody know a 3D reconstruction programme for Mma?

Thanks alot

Dipl.Biol. Fabian Haas, MPhil
Institut f=FCr Spezielle Zoologie und Evolutionsbiologie
Erbertstr. 1
D-07743 Jena
Deutschland / Germany
TEL  ++ 49 361 630 424