Importing of Files

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg5880] Importing of Files
  • From: Mario Sancho Graca <M.S.Graca at Warwick.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 01:31:55 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

To MathGroup Readers

I have files captured with a charge-coupled device camera, consisting of
512*512=262144 pixels. I need to import them into Mathematica, which I
can on a Unix workstation (Mathematica v 2.2). However I work with a PC
(Windows 95, Mathematica 3.0), the files being transferred from the Unix
machine through modem. For the example below, with the same reading
commands Mathematica identifies an 'end-of-file' after reading 28556
elements (file transferred as ascii) or 12304 elements (file transferred
as binary). There are many pixels still to read!

Do you know what is happening? It seems that the problem is Unix and
Windows handling files differently.

Illustration: For the file 'q3a1_ascii' which is a file transferred as
ascii. The following reads the first 100 points with no problem on
Unix:

inputStreamq3a1ascii = OpenRead["q3a1_ascii"]
q3a1asciiRead={};
Do[
q3a1asciiReadRow={};

        Do[
        q3a1asciiReadRow= Append[q3a1asciiReadRow,
        Read[inputStreamq3a1ascii,Byte]];

        ,{512}];

q3a1asciiRead=Append[q3a1asciiRead, q3a1asciiReadRow];

,{100}] //Timing

Close[inputStreamq3a1ascii]

The same code under Windows reads EndOfFile at
q3a1asciiRead[[56]][[397]].

Thanking in advance all MathGroup readers for the attention given.

--
Mario Sancho Graca
University of Warwick

Email: M.S.Graca at Warwick.ac.uk