applying rule to one term??

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg5788] applying rule to one term??
  • From: David Elbert <elbert at jhu.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 14:58:39 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Folks,
I have been signed off of Mathgroup for a couple of years, but I was just
asked a question I couldn't answer... so I'm back!  I went through the
recent archives on the wolfram web site and couldn't find an answer.  I
hope this doesn't cover old ground, but...

given an equation and the need to apply some rule for algebraic
simplification, can you get Mma to apply that rule to just a specific term
of the equation?

For example:

f[x] g[x] + (f[x] g[x] + 1) == Sin[x] + 2

can we write a rule to factor out g[x] only the second term to give:

f[x] g[x] + g[x](f[x] + 1/g[x]) == Sin[x] + 2

This may seem odd, but my colleague is quite adamant about wanting to
control the form of her equation, term by term.  I had to confess that I
had no idea how to work with just part of an equation, and the book didn't
offer and insight.

I'll appreciate any help anyone can offer-
David Elbert
elbert at jhu.edu