special ColorFunction

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg5766] special ColorFunction
  • From: rustybel at foothill.net (Russell Towle)
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 14:58:50 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I wish to construct a special ColorFunction for use in DensityPlots.  The
object is to assign an RGB color to each cell in such a way that the
(normalized) magnitude of the cell is divided into red and green
components.  First, the red component would be the greatest multiple of
1/256 below the actual normalized magnitude; and then, the green component
would be 1/256 of whatever is left over from this greatest multiple of
1/256.

The blue part of the RGB would just be zero.  The object is to use the MMA
DensityPlot to contruct a matrix of 16-bit "numbers," 8 bits to red, 8 bits
to green.  This can then be used in POV-Ray as a height field.

I would very greatly appreciate any suggestions.  An example of such a
special ColorFunction is as follows:

ColorFunction -> (GrayLevel[#^3]&).

TIA,

Russell Towle
Giant Gap Press:  books on California history, digital topographic maps
P.O. Box 141
Dutch Flat, California 95714
Voice:  (916) 389-2872
e-mail:  rustybel at foothill.net