How much PowerMac RAM for 3.0?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg5643] How much PowerMac RAM for 3.0?
- From: murray at math.umass.edu (Murray Eisenberg)
- Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 21:05:05 -0500
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
In a student lab of several dozen Power Macintosh computers we want to upgrade from Mathematica 2.2 to 3.0. A Wolfram techie suggested 32 MB RAM to run with reasonable speed (to avoid excessive swapping to virtual memory). Unfortunately, our machines all have 16 MB, and even at today's RAM prices, upgrading all those machines is a decidedly non-trivial expense. Have you any experience to report on the adequacy or inadequacy of 16 MB for 3.0 on Power Macs -- especially in a student lab setting? -- Murray Eisenberg Internet: murray at math.umass.edu Mathematics & Statistics Dept. Voice: 413-545-2859 (W) University of Massachusetts 413-549-1020 (H) Amherst, MA 01003 Fax: 413-545-1801