Put a list to a file

I would like to put the output of Print[TableForm[mylist]] to a file which
will _not_ be used by mathematica...

I have tried Put, >>, opening a stream, Write, and I get either Null, if I
include the command Print, or the actual list (in list format) if
I don't include Print.  I would like it in TableForm..in this case one
column of data.

Note: it prints fine to the screen.  I have tried to send % to a file (no
luck) as well as named output...I get Null.

thanks,
Laura