Boundary value problems in Mathematica 3.0
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg5831] Boundary value problems in Mathematica 3.0
- From: bpsafran at weizmann.weizmann.ac.il (Sam Safran)
- Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 03:42:55 -0500
- Organization: Weizmann Institute of Science, Computation Center.
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
I have started using Mathematica 3.0 on a Silicon Graphics, Iris workstation. My application involves solving a two point boundary value problem with a nonlinear differential equation. In the Mathematica book and in the Help, it does mention that version 3.0 supports two point boundary value problems and I could not find any caveat that says that it only works for linear equations. However whenever I try it, the boundary value problems are solved only for linear differential equations; when I try to solve nonlinear differential equations I get an error that says I am not using linear equations. Is this the situation for Mathematica 3.0 on other machines (e.g. Mac) and is it true that the boundary value problems are only for linear differential equations? Are there any packages or add-ons that will do non linear equations with two point boundary conditions? Thanks. -- Sam Safran bpsafran at weizmann.weizmann.ac.il