Confused about notebooks

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg7706] Confused about notebooks
  • From: Thomas Bleile <bleile at fli.sh.bosch.de>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 14:21:26 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello all,

after updating to MMA 3.0 (Unix) I have some really stupid questions:

1a) I evaluate a cell, let's say
    a=2 (SHIFT-RETURN)
    then this line gets a number e.g. In[1] :=
    Now, I go back, and change a to b, so it reads
    b=2 (SHIFT-RETURN)
    Now the number increases (here: In[2] := ). I checked for the
    Options Inspector/Cell Options/Evaluation Options/
    CellEvaluationDuplicate is set to "False"

    So why is the cell duplicated anyway, and how can I stop this ?

1b) somehow connected to question 1a)
    Now I save the modified notebook, that only contains one line saying
    b=2
    I quit MMA, come back, load this notebook, evaluate it and ask for
    the value of a.
    You guessed it ? I get 2 ! So somewhere inside the notebook,
    invisible for me, this information is still stored.

So could anyone please help me ! I browsed the online help, but ...

Thank you very much,

thomas

Dipl.-Ing. Thomas Bleile               email: bleile at fli.sh.bosch.de
Robert Bosch GmbH, Abt. FV/FLI
Postfach 10 60 50                      Tel: (+49 | 0) 711 811-6659
D-70049 Stuttgart                      Fax: (+49 | 0) 711 811-7602