Re: Question on Positive[x]=True

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg7931] Re: Question on Positive[x]=True
  • From: bruck at pacificnet.net (Ronald Bruck)
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 15:46:09 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <5pv0ob$id3 at smc.vnet.net>, Raya Firsov-Khanin
<raya at mech.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

:Dear Steve,
:
:I have the following question.  I want to state that a variable
:x is positive. On page 1170 of the Third edition of The Mathematica book
:it is said that I can do it by making a definition
:
:    Positive[x] = True
:
:However, while trying to do it I get a message :
:
:Set::write: Tag Positive in Positive[x] is Protected
:
:Any suggestions on how one can make variables positive, negative etc?
:
:Thanks a lot.
:                  Raya Khanin.
:                  University of Edinburgh

There seem to be a lot of lacunae in the third edition; unfortunately, this
one ISN'T a lacunae, but a false statement!

Use the ^= construction.  But a word of warning:  Mathematica is rather
brain-dead in this regard; if you set Positive[x] ^= True, and ask
"Positive[x]", well, you get true; excellent; but if you ask "Negative[x]",
you get it back unevaluated.  (Similarly, Sqrt[x^2] doesn't evaluate to x.)

In another post, Tony Nicolas suggests using ==.  But he's missed the point
of what you're trying to do (which is to ASSUME x is positive).

--Ron Bruck

Now 100% ISDN from this address