Re: Lighting

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg7713] Re: [mg7697] Lighting
  • From: Russell Towle <rustybel at>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 14:21:34 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Hi Alex, I tried to reply to your previous query but your email address
didn't work.
The way to keep those pesky light sources fixed is, leave them alone, leave
ViewPoint alone, and rotate the object itself into its desired positions,
using the RotateShape function in the Graphics Shapes package.--Russell

>Hello All,
>           MMA 3.0 keeps its light sources fixed when the viewing
>location changes - this means that the colors of an object change when
>looking at it from a different location.  I would like to show two
>different views of an object but where the colors remain constant so as
>to facilitate comparison.  Clearly, I need to change the location of the
>light sources as the viewpoint changes.  I am having some trouble,
>however, getting the two coordinate systems to map into one another.  If
>anyone has already solved this problem or written some code to keep the
>relative position of the light sources fixed I would appreciate knowing
>about it before I spend too much time on this problem.  Thanks.
>Alex Tabarrok
>Department of Economics
>Ball State University

Russell Towle
Giant Gap Press:  books on California history, digital topographic maps
P.O. Box 141
Dutch Flat, California 95714
Voice:  (916) 389-2872
e-mail:  rustybel at