Matrix Rank

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg7604] Matrix Rank
  • From: gah <gah at>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 15:53:21 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

V. Nandagopal wrote:
> Hello,
>         Is there any function which will give me the rank of a matrix A?
> Something of the form Rank[A]?
>         Thanks in advance,
>         V. Nandagopal
>         School of Mathematics
>         Tata Institute of Fundamental Research
>         Colaba, Bombay 400 005, India
>         e-mail: nandgopa at

1) Count the number of nonzero rows in RowReduce[A]. This is safe only
with infinite precision (no decimal points).
2) If the matrix is numeric (decimal points) try SingularValues[A]. The
number of singular values returned is Mathematica's default estimate of
the rank. You can change the estimation criterion via the Tolerance

--Garry Helzer
(gah at