"Smart" Editing

I have had it with "smart" editing.  I think the goal was to have some
help with parenthesis matching and page layout, but it is buggy and I
get tired of looking through a 10 screen long cell to find out where the
cursor jumped to.  The latest manifestation of buggy "smart" editing is
that if I insert a Print statement, the next print statement in line
changes its [ to a large [ and generates an error message when I enter
send the cell to the kernel.  This requires that I go through the cell
looking for unmatched large parenthesis which I had nothing to do with
inserting.

Does anyone know how to turn the smart editing off?